Wednesday, June 1, 2011

June 1- Day 1 - Destination Tucumcari, NM


For those who don't know but did hear me complaining for the last week, J. changed his mind and is going with me to LA.  He is having to fly home on Sunday for a voice-over session on Monday.  :)


Day one had a difficult beginning.  Our alarm was supposed to go off at 4am to depart at 6am.   I had to finish packing and the kitchen was a disaster.  The alarm did not go off; thank goodness, I woke up at 530.   J. and I bolted out of bed and he helped me pack, clean, and get the VERY excited kids corralled.   We were off at 650 am.   



 This Emily, Benjamin and J. as we were off, and me after the Denton Starbucks Drive-thru.  

We drove and we drove and some us were able to sleep, although more wanted to nap.  :(

We stopped in Amarillo for lunch and were huge tourists.  We stopped at The Big Texan right off i-40, famed from Man vs Food   (www.bigtexan.com and www.travelchannel.com/.../Man_V_Food/.../Episode_Amarillo). As tourists we did take many photos but were unable to talk J. into taking the challenge.  :)














Also, we were just showing our Texas love!  :)

Soon after leaving Amarillo, sadly we left Texas behind, but the children were able to see a new state: New Mexico!   But, again, sadly, there was no "Goodbye Texas" sign.  I was very disappointed because I wanted to get a picture of Benjamin and Emily crying beside it.   They had made a comment a few weeks ago that they did not want to go on the trip because they did not want to leave Texas, ever.  They were quickly convinced that this was not a possibility.   







Soon after crossing the state line, we reached Tucumcari and checked into our hotel.   The last few hours have been spent with swimming and pizza and soon sleep.    I am exhausted!   Tomorrow it is another day of driving to Flagstaff, AZ.

5 comments:

  1. You made a lot of progress for one day! Liked the pic of Emily sleeping in the car and the pic of J sitting in the BIG chair. Sleep well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress today! I'm glad Jay is able to go to CA with you, but can't wait until you get here - bring some good weather with you:o)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you had a full first day! I'm totally with "waringlw" -- best pics were J. in the big chair and Em passed out in her booster seat. Enjoy your drive to Flagstaff tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute, Rachel! Girl, I don't know how you're going to keep up with this writing on the trip, but you are Wonder Woman and I saw YOUR coffee pic :) (Nice product placement by the way, and I think we can get Starbuck's to pay royalties.) I'm going to give you my Flagstaff suggestions because we're there a lot, but I know you have tracks to make. (1) My favorite library in the world -- they have 4 fireplaces! 300 W. Aspen St. (2) Lowell Observatory - kids will love the telescopes and space stuff plus they have evening programs now, and the kids could blow off steam & Jay could exhibit some of his fine German dancing tonight http://www.lowell.edu/outreach/events.php (3) Dara Thai - 14 S. San Francisco St - kid friendly, and I love the atmosphere too, and (4) The Crown Railroad Cafe - great breakfast place, plus the kids would love the model trains going around the restaurant - 2700 Woodlands Village Blvd, conveniently located by Walmart and I-40. I could keep going on... we've ridden Thomas the Tank Engine in Flagstaff several times, earned Girl Scout badges at Riordan Mansion, etc., but let me know if you want more suggestions as I spend most of my life wandering around ;) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy- Thank you so much for your suggestions- they are all great! We may do the train restaurant b/c it is right by where we are staying. Unfortunately I misread your post that there was a german restaurant which made J. want german food. Therefore, that is probably what we are going to do for dinner. I am also so depressed that we don't have enough time for the library and the observatory! That sounds so cool! We will have to plan to stay a day next time! Maybe next time you can meet us up here!

    ReplyDelete